Race Recap: Chickfila 5k 2016

This was my second time doing the Chickfila 5k (I also ran it in 2014).  This was also my husband’s second race! I was proud of him for asking me to sign him up for this race, I didn’t even try to coerce him into this one!

The big draw for this race are the free chickfila sandwiches at the end!

Packet Pickup and Expo

We opted for race day packet pickup.  It went relatively fast, although there were a lot of people signing up on race day, which surprised me.  We were going to walk our stuff back to the car, but decided to just do gear check instead..

Race Day Conditions/Attire

It was supposed to be in the mid 70s, but there was not a cloud in the sky.  I haven’t pulled out all my summer workout gear yet, so I settled for some capris and a short sleeved shirt.  I also decided a hat would be a great way to keep the sun out of my face.  In retrospect, I should have known I was going to get very warm, but it is what it is!

Pre Race

After packet pickup, we had a lot of time to kill, so we found a spot in the shade and started people watching.  They had a bunch of stuff set up for kids, so we watched them play games and such before the race.


Race Time

The 10k was supposed to kick off at 8:30, but it started a little late.  As such, the 5k started a little later than the planned 8:45am start.  Michael was a little antsy to get to the start line.  There were no set corrals, but they had signs to help you line up based on your pace per mile.  Michael and I started together.

The first mile was spent letting the crowd thin out and settle in to where they were going to be. Some faster people pulled ahead, I passed some walkers.  I ran the whole first mile, since I was feeling pretty good.  Michael walked/ran and we stayed pretty close to each other.  I took a quick walk break, but kept running until about the halfway point.  That’s when Michael started to pull away.

The halfway point until mile 2 was a bit rough, it was a really sunny part of the course and I was started to get warm.  I walked most of it.  I saw Michael at the turnoff back toward the finish line at around mile 2.  The last mile was spent forcing myself to run, especially in the shade.  I saw Michael wayyyy up ahead one last time before the finish.

I pushed myself to run in.  I finished in 44:11.  I had hoped for something in the 40-41 range, but given that I’ve had a lot of “life” going on, I haven’t been training to be at that point.  Michael finished almost 2 minutes ahead of me!

After Party

When I crossed the finish line, Michael was waiting for me. He asked how I did and I responded, “I feel like I’m going to puke.”  I was so uncomfortably warm. We grabbed our gear from gear check, got our chickfila sandwiches, and then we found a cool place to sit.  We sat under some trees. I was able to cool down, eat my sandwich, then I felt much better.  Its hard to believe that the mid-70s can feel that warm, but it did!

It was incredible how many sandwiches they had.  There were probably about 2000 people there, and they had just bags and bags of sandwiches.  And they were nice and warm!


All it all, it was a nice race, with a nice course.  I just wish it had been a bit cooler and maybe overcast! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s