Here are my lesson’s learned from training for this half marathon. I’m not 100% sure how I’m going to fix all of them yet, but I wanted to record them for posterity’s sake.
1. I need to do more core work. My back and core hurt a lot.
2. My hamstrings are still really tight…they need even MORE work.
3. My feet and ankles need a lot more strengthening.
4. This one is a biggie: I need to get away from my heel strike.
5. I don’t do any speedwork. Need to fix that!
6. I need to increase mileage SLOWLY.
7. I cannot cheat on my workouts. I will definitely pay for it later.
8. I need to improve my nutrition.
A lot of these flexibility/strengthening problems will slowly start to be corrected by continuing yoga and continued work with my trainer. I am working on a plan to slowly increase mileage. The rest still need a plan, but I’ll get there.
Have you ever had to step back and re-evaluate your training plan? What big changes did you make?